The name comes from Old English Harhunedell, “valley of horehound“, and is first recorded in the Domesday Book Folk etymology, however, connects the name with the Old French word arondelle “swallow”, a diminutive form of arunde or aronde, and swallows appear on the town’s arms.
A town full of charater and beauty, a medieval Castle and a Roman Catholic Catherdral. Running through it is The River Arun, the second fastest flowing tidal river in the UK after the River Severn. The River in Arundel had the lowest road bridge in the UK until the opening of the Littlehampton swing bridge in 1908. Arundel Castle was built by the Normans to protect the vulnerable, wooded plain to the north of the valley through the South Downs. The town later grew up on the slope below the castle to the south.
Described as ‘The Jewel in The Downs’ it is a remarkable place with many areas of natural outstanding beauty.